Monday, April 14, 2008

6 months, oh my!

6 months ago my little girl came into this world. Didn't I just post a 5 month update only 2 seconds ago? Since I've been keeping up with any developmental happenings on this blog, I thought I would share her birth story and some cute pics to celebrate a half year of sweet baby girl life.

She was born 10 days early on Sunday, October 14th, 2007 at 10:12am. 8 pounds, 13 ounces and 20 inches long.

For about 2 weeks I was feeling like I could go into labor at any moment. I had been having really strong Braxton Hicks contractions for months by now. They were so strong that my midwife told me to slow down, work less, do less, so as to avoid going on bedrest. I was dilated very early with E, so we wanted to make sure we did not have the baby too early. For the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy, I was starting to have what felt like “real” contractions on and off, so I was starting to feel really anxious about going into labor.

The few days before giving birth, I was really, really tired. I slept so much those couple of days. On the night before she was born, I just felt like this is it, it was going to happen. I told Don we had to go to the store so we would have food. We went to King Soopers and the whole time we were walking around I was having light contractions. I just knew it was almost time. It was late and we were hungry, so we grabbed some sandwiches at Subway and headed home. I picked up the house and made us all go to bed early.

At about 4:30 in the morning I woke up to a real, no kidding contraction. I laid there and had a few more that were definitely starting to feel pattern like. I woke Don up and said we were getting started. I asked him to time my contractions. They were about 7 minutes apart and lasting about 30 seconds to a minute long. We decided to stay in bed and just chill for a while. Don was really excited, I was starting to feel nervous. Was this really happening now? Well it was! Within 30-45 minutes the contractions were 5 minutes apart and starting to get stronger.

I decided to give our midwife a call and let her know today was the day. I then called my sister and while on the phone with her had several more contractions. She said, “Wow, those are like 3 minutes apart, maybe you should get your midwife over there.” Don was starting to get really nervous and wanted to call Jessica (the midwife) again. I kept saying no, I’m fine, she said they should be 1 minute or longer for an hour and I had just talked to her like 20 minutes ago. I told Don to go ahead and call my mom. I could tell he was needing a little more support, so he called and told her to come over. E woke up sometime around this point. He was just playing and oblivious to what was going on. Right after we called my mom, Don said, I’m calling Jessica! So he did and she said she was on her way. She got to my house before my mom did! My aunt and Heather, Jessica’s assistant arrived about the same time shortly after that.

Jessica asked if I wanted her to set up the birth tub. I was still lying in bed and just did not want to move and didn’t feel like worrying about E wanting to get in the tub, so I told her no, I didn’t want to use it. At this point, the contractions were starting to get really strong and I just couldn’t move from the little nest I had made on the bed. Don was being so awesome, right there with me, rubbing my back and saying the sweetest things all during labor.

Then, the bed was just really uncomfortable, but I was scared to move, I don’t know why. Jessica and Don helped me get up and I moved back and forth from the kitchen to the bathroom. I asked Jessica if it was too early to feel like pushing. She said, no-go ahead and do whatever my body feels like doing. So with the next contraction, I gave a little push. Wow, did that make the contraction easier! I realized I had been trying to hold it all in instead of going with my natural urges. So after that I pushed with every contraction, just a little. It really helped. I remember Jessica saying that the baby was working her way down and for me to not fight it. So that is what I did, I relaxed into each contraction. Jessica then said she thought that as soon as my water broke, the baby would probably come right out. So I started to focus on my water breaking.

I then had to pee really bad, so I went into the bathroom. Right after peeing, I had a super strong contraction while sitting on the toilet and felt like pushing-HARD. So I did and my water broke right into the toilet! It actually exploded!! All over the bathroom and Don! My mom said she heard it in the living room. Crazy! Well then I felt like pushing to get the baby out, but I so did not want to do that on the toilet. I grabbed Don and said, “Not here!” He said I shot up faster than he had seen me move in months. I went into the bedroom and suddenly felt soooo tired. I just wanted to lay down. So I did. On the next contraction I tried to push but it hurt so bad and I knew I couldn’t do this laying down. I asked Jessica what I should do. She suggested standing up with my foot on the bed. So she and Don helped me get back up. On the next contraction I pushed her head out. And then I just stood there dazed and amazed that I had just done that. I reached down and felt her head just hanging there. Totally surreal! Jessica said to go ahead and take a break. Then she said, okay long enough you’ve got to finish, so I gave one more good push and out she came! Freakin’ amazing!!! Don caught her and tried to give her to me, but I felt like I was going to fall over so Jessica and Heather helped me get back on the bed. Don then handed me my beautiful baby girl!!!
That is the most amazing experience I think a woman can ever experience, taking her child in her arms for the first time!!! We just layed there and cuddled for awhile. My mom and my aunt came in with E. He was pretty overwhelmed by the whole thing. I guess my crying out and blood everywhere was scary for him. Poor little guy! After a while we cleaned the baby up and weighed her. Such a big girl!! Totally healthy and wonderful. I took a wonderful long hot shower and then went and layed down with my little girl. Right away she nursed like a champ!!! She’s had a super strong suck, yowza! (Still does, BTW).
We took some pictures and then the midwives left, followed my mom and my aunt. They took E for the night and Don and I just hung out in our bed blissed out all day. Birthing at home is so amazing!!! The midwives pretty much left Don and I alone to labor together without too much interference. Then we got to snuggle down in our own bed. Don made us a great dinner and I just felt soooo good! I was totally wired and couldn’t really sleep, but felt totally comfortable because I was in my own space.

Happy 6 Months, sweet girl. I love you more and more every day.


Stacy April 18, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

That last picture is SO CUTE! Oh my!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed perusing yours.


Please do not use any images or content without permission. You can contact me at happydelz [at] comcast [dot] net. Thanks.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by 2008

Back to TOP