Wednesday, November 12, 2008

weekly art group - shaving cream painting

I didn't have the camera back from the repair shop last week, but we left all the paintings here to dry, so I snapped these pictures last night.
I've read about doing this and had wanted to try it with Chubbas, so decided to give it a go for our art group. What we did was spray a little mound of shaving cream on to each child's paper. Then we put a little washable poster paint on a paper plate, gave them a paint brush and let them have at it.

I thought for sure they would get totally messy using their hands, but they all stuck with using their paint brushes. All 4 kiddos were pretty silent enjoying the feel of the shaving cream and paint mixing together on the paper. I think this was the most captivating project they have done so far. They didn't paint for too long, but were really into it while they did.

I wish I could have gotten some pictures when they were first done, it was really pretty! After it dried a bit, the shaving cream lost some of it's foam, but still nice looking paintings...


Next time, I think I will scrape some of the shaving cream off before letting them get all the way dry. Some of their work came off when I scraped the dried up shaving cream off. And I think using paper with more bulk and texture will produce a better quality picture.

This is definitely a technique we will do again and again. After the kids left, I found myself digging in and making a few pictures of my own, it is so much fun!!

1 comments:

Mary November 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM  

I'm going to have to try this with Tristan. I'm sure he'll love it too. Thanks for the idea!

Please do not use any images or content without permission. You can contact me at happydelz [at] comcast [dot] net. Thanks.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP