Saturday, January 3, 2009

kool-aid dying playsilks

This has been on my "to-do" list for awhile, dying some playsilks with kool-aid for the kiddos. And it was super duper easy and really fun!! I want to make LOTS more. And, I think I could seriously get into fabric dying, it is really cool to see the fabric transform with so much color!

Here is the method we used:

1. Order silk scarves from Dharma Trading Company. Whatever size you want. I ordered 3 of 21.5 x 21.5 ones and 2 of the 35 x 35 ones.

2. Wet the scarves and shake out a little, then put in a zip lock bag.

3. Add some water to the bag, not too much, just enough to cover the scarf and get the kool-aid moving around.

4. Pour a little white vinegar into the bag, just a glug or two.

5. Add whatever color kool aid you want. I used 2 packets per scarf. I don't remember the name of the colors. From memory: cherry, lime, grape, berry blue, and orange?

6. Seal the bag and squish it around so the kool-aid dissolves and is all over the scarf.

7. Put in the microwave on high for one minute.

8. Squish it around a little more and then open the bag a little to let the steam out.

9. Microwave on high for 2 more minutes. Watch it to make sure it doesn't catch on fire, I guess it can happen... yikes!

10. Take out and let it sit until it is cool enough to touch.

11. Rinse the scarf in cool water until the water runs clear. This was quick and easy for all of them except the red. That one took a LONG time to run clear!

12. Hang somewhere to dry.

Done!!!


I think they are soooooo pretty!


And the kiddos LOVE them. A is adorable playing peek a boo with them and E has turned the big ones into capes, of course.

1 comments:

Anonymous January 6, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Lovely! And another reason why one should not drink that stuff...
I wonder what you could do instead of the microwave. Use hot water, I assume.

Please do not use any images or content without permission. You can contact me at happydelz [at] comcast [dot] net. Thanks.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP