Friday, June 13, 2008

establishing rhythm

For those of you who don't know this about me, I am a crazy researcher. When I get interested in something, I go read LOTS about it. I always have like 10 books going and I love my internet.

One of my favorite topics these days is homeschooling. Really trying to figure out the ins and out and deciding on our style and what we want to accomplish with our kiddos. Well, I think there is such a thing as too much research!! Haahaa! I get so bogged down with all these great IDEAS and spend very little to time actually DOING anything. I am an idea junky.

Well, I was recently on a chat with some great homeschooling mamas and a very wise mom, said take it slow, start simple. Find your rhythm first. We don't really NEED to be doing much with E right now other than playing, being creative, having fun, exploring, so I am going to go to work getting us in a good rhythm.

What do I want our days to look like?? What is the mood, the environment I want to create for my babes to learn in? Well, I want our days to be full of inspiration, creativity, curiosity, silliness and love. AND, I want to be able to keep the house clean, work on my own creative endeavors, and keep in touch with all my mommy friends around the world. So, this is what I've come up with as our "ideal" daily rhythm.

  • Me wake up and meditate/do yoga before the kids wake up. [this one will take some doing, but I think is really important for both me and them that I make this time for myself].
  • Take a shower, me get ready and pretty for the day. Make a pot of tea or coffee (essential).
  • Kids wake up, change diaper, go potty, wash up, get dressed.
  • Make healthy breakfast and eat together at the table.
  • Me clean up from breakfast while the kids play.
  • Have a little circle/story time. This is a time for us to come together and set the tone for the day.
  • Go for a walk, even in the snow and the rain.
  • Snack time.
  • Free play, mom work on projects like cleaning, sewing, etc.
  • Make a healthy lunch and eat together at the table.
  • Clean up from lunch.
  • Art/craft/music projects.
  • Run around outside and get the wiggles out.
  • Nap/rest/quiet time. I work on computer, read, me time.
  • Free play outside while I get dinner ready.
  • Dad comes home and plays with the kiddos while I finish up dinner.
  • Sit down and have a nice meal together as a family.
  • Clean up dinner dishes while Dad plays with the kids.
  • If the weather is nice, go on a family walk.
  • Baths and ready for bed.
  • Kids asleep.
  • Time with Don doing whatever, projects watching a movie, etc.
  • Get ready for bed and turn in at a decent hour.
  • [Right now A nurses and naps whenever and that is just fine with me. We will fit in her being taken care of and as she gets older we will adjust things to meet her needs]
I know this is not an overnight process. My plan (because I always have one) is to spend the summer getting our groove. Slowly adding things in/moving things around until our days just go on their own, providing the space I'm looking to provide for my kids. I want it to feel natural and relaxed, but at the same time I want the kiddos to expect certain things at certain times on specific days. I want some predictability with some spontaneity thrown. Above all, I don't want our homeschooling to be rigid. I want it to be free flowing, fun, creative. And totally nurturing, bringing out the true spirit and imagination of both of my little darlings.

2 comments:

denise June 15, 2008 at 10:39 PM  

That sounds like a lovely plan! :) We are pretty loose recently with all the crazy weather and lots of work, but find that when we are in our rhythm and the boys know the what and when of our day, things go more smoothly and everyone is happier. And just doing things based on their best times and energy levels makes for a better day too. :)

Michellerobin1979 July 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

Thanks for sharing this Lisa. I am trying to give even more structure to our days now that T is no longer nursing. I find some days are wild and hectic, some are slower then dirt, and others are the perfect balance. Yet when I try and figure out why some days are smooth and others arnt I come up empty handed. I think I will start by planing a weekly rythem and see if that helps, if not I will move onto the daily rythem. When you were researching schooling did you ever hear about Reggio Emilia schooling? Seems like there are never enough hours int the day, I keep stumbling onto so many great topics. I love your blog!!!

Please do not use any images or content without permission. You can contact me at happydelz [at] comcast [dot] net. Thanks.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP