Thursday, February 19, 2009

the cranky old woman I love

My Granny had a birthday on Monday. 85 years...Wow! We took her some chocolate cupcakes. All week long I have been thinking about her and her life, the stories she has told us over the years. I can honestly say old age and my Granny don't really mix too well. When I think of this wonderful woman, who helped raise me, I think Feisty, Bold, Crass, Silly, and totally Loving. You can tell she is hating growing old, just hating it! It makes me sad. I have no idea what to do to help her. Help, I am sure, is not what she needs or wants. But, none the less, every time I see her, I feel so helpless....

All week I have been thinking about her and her life and the woman she is and was. The kind of mom and grandmother she was to her children and to us growing up. I hope I don't grow old and bitter, I hope I can keep alive and present for myself the love and the joy I feel right now being with my own children.

I found this poem that I thought was pretty cool. It made me also think of my children and wonder what they will be like 80 or more years from now. What kind of old man will Chubbas be? Will Boop just want to smoke and drink her last days away, a cranky old lady? I hope not, but the path they choose to take is beyond my control.



Youth, Day, Old Age and Night
by Walt Whitman

Youth, large, lusty, loving-youth full of grace, force, fascination,
Do you know that Old Age may come after you with equal grace, force, fascination?

Day full-blown and splendid-day of the immense sun, action, ambition, laughter,
The Night follows close with millions of suns, and sleep and restoring darkness.


I hope my Granny's feisty stubbornness helps her stick around for many more years. She loves my kiddos so much, I can tell they bring her much joy. Maybe that's what I can do to help, go see her more, bring the kids to her more often. Let them bring her some happiness and purity and most importantly some peace. I really want my children to have strong, happy memories of this crazy old woman we call Granny Goose, who I love so very very much.





0 comments:

Please do not use any images or content without permission. You can contact me at happydelz [at] comcast [dot] net. Thanks.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP